KCC have had reports of inheritance scam where the victim is told that someone very rich has died and the victim is in line to receive a huge inheritance.
How this scam works:
- You are sent a letter from abroad
- The writer claims to have access to a large amount of money from a deceased client
- You are told you share the same name as the dead person
- If you respond, they’ll ask you to pay various fees – for example: taxes, legal fees, banking fees etc. – so they can release the money
- Although there are legitimate companies who make a living by tracking down heirs, they don’t do it in this way.
- If you’re asked for a fees it’s very likely to be bogus.
- Letters/documents provided by the fraudsters are generally badly written. Look out for spelling mistakes and poor grammar.
For more information on this type of fraud visit Action Fraud
Please warn family members, friends and neighbours.